Only 50% of Virginians report getting the recommended 30 minutes of activity per day most days of the week and 1 in 5 Virginians do absolutely no leisure-time physical activity.
What are the benefits to being physically active?
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Reducing your risk of cardiovascular disease
- Reducing the risk for type 2 diabetes
- Reducing the risk of some cancers
- Strengthening your bones and muscles
- Improving your mental health and mood
- Improving your ability to perform daily activities and preventing falls
- Increasing your chances of living longer
What Can I Do?
Physical activity includes planned exercise or daily chores done at least at a moderate intensity. This may include walking, cycling, swimming, or even raking leaves. If you are new to exercising, check in with your medical team to assess what level of activity is right for you.
If you are ready to start incorporating more physical activity into your daily life, the Healthy Choices Solution Center is a great place to begin! Take our Healthy Living Self-Assessment and get your personalized Healthy Living Planning Report. Educational articles and links are available 24 hours a day on SeniorNavigator in order to help you be more active. Please explore and use our new interactive tools to help you track your progress toward a healthier lifestyle!
What Are Some Solutions?
Search for Local Programs and Services.
Select a topic and choose your location. Click Search Now for a list of programs and services in your area.